Text files are files that only contain text characters. Adding a text file as data source is a two-step process: adding the file and loading the fields, and then specifying properties for the fields once they have been loaded into the project. One text file corresponds to one table in the Jet Data Manager.
Your license determines the number and type of data sources that you can connect to. A standard license permits a connection to one data source. Additional connectors can be purchased to permit the use of additional data sources.
Add Text Files as Data Sources
1. Expand Business Units, and then expand the business unit you want to add a data source to.
2. Right-click Data Sources, select Data Sources, and then select Add Single Text File data source.
The Add Single Text File dialog opens
3. In the Name field, type a name for the data source.
4. Select Header row if the first row contains column names.
5. In the Row delimiter list, specify how rows are separated.
6. In the Field delimiter list, specify how fields are separated.
7. In the Text qualifier field, type the text qualifier, if any.
8. In the File field, locate the file you want as data source.
9. In the Culture field, specify the language of the text file.
10. In the Post processing field specify what to do with the file once it has been read.
11. In the Backup folder field, specify the path to the backup folder.
12. Click Get Fields to load the fields. You can view the fields in the Fields pane.
The fields are now loaded into your project, and by default all fields are of the data type Text. However, you may have to specify a different data type for some of the fields.
To Specify the Field Properties of a Text File
1. Select a field in the Fields pane.
2. The name is entered by default, but you can specify a new name in the Field Name field.
3. In the Data type list, specify a data type.
4. In the Text length field, specify the maximum number of characters in the field.
5. Select Variable length, if you do not want the field to have a fixed length.
6. Select Unicode, if you want to convert data to Unicode.
7. In the Number of decimals field, specify how many decimals are allowed in the field.
8. Next to the preview pane, in the Number of rows field, specify how many rows you want to preview, and then click Update to preview the rows.
9. Click OK.